Saturday, January 21, 2012

CORRECTION: Joe Paterno

I would like to apologize for forwarding reports that former Penn State Football Coach, Joe Paterno, had died, Saturday night. Wirtz On Sports serves as an outlet for sports information that I gather from numerous media sources. Since I do not independently gather information on my own, I rely on credible media information to report the latest sports news. I, as a rule, make sure I have two sources before reporting any information. Tonight, Onward State, which is a student news organization that serves Penn State, reported first that Paterno had passed away. After seeing their report on Twitter, I waited to see if any major news organization confirmed the story. The first I saw was CBS Sports. They were followed by The Big Lead, Huffington Post, Deadspin, and a few others. ESPN, CNN, NBC Sports, Yahoo! Sports, among others, did not report Paterno had passed away. Immediately after seeing CBS Sports went with the story, I posted Onward State's report, giving them the credit, as I always try to give the original source credit for a major news story. It turns out, Onward State was wrong. Both of Joe Paterno's sons, Jay and Scott, posted separate messages on Twitter, stating their father is still alive, but in grave and serious condition.

I know I have just a small following on both Facebook and Twitter, however, I take pride in making sure I report accurate information from the sources I post on my pages. I pledge that I will take even more care in making sure I have not two, but at least three, credible media sources before I post such a major story.

No comments:

Post a Comment